Thank you for your interest in volunteering with the Niagara Falls Humane Society. We are accepting applications for
volunteers which will be put into a waiting list until positions are available.
The Niagara Falls Humane Society accepts volunteers for a variety of positions. A few things you should know about volunteering:
- Our most popular volunteer positions involve working directly with the animals. This means that the program is often full or that there are not enough animals in the Shelter to work with & there may be a wait for you to begin your volunteering. Please do not expect to begin immediately as we simply cannot guarantee available volunteer positions at all times.
- Volunteer shifts after 3 pm and on the weekends are the most popular. You may be contacted sooner if you are able to be more flexible with your schedule.
- Those who provide a valid e-mail address may be contacted sooner. There may be dozens of applications waiting for interviews at any given time. It is more time effective to e-mail rather than call all applicants.
- High school students should note that NFHS does not participate in providing community service hours.
- NFHS requires a volunteer commitment of one year.
First, you need to complete a volunteer application form. This application allows us to learn a little bit about you and gives you information on what volunteer opportunities there are within our organization.
You will then be called for a volunteer interview. This step is designed to determine your motivation for volunteering, our needs, the position you are interested in as well as provide general information about the NFHS and what we do. All volunteers will be given a volunteer handbook and will be familiarized with the expectations and responsibilities of the various positions. At this point, any volunteers selected will choose their schedule and will be assigned their volunteer position.
Volunteers may also choose at this point to be added to a volunteer database for casual positions and/or special events. When we run special events or fundraisers these volunteers are essential in ensuring that our day is run smoothly.
Seniors Volunteering at the Niagara Falls Humane Society
Many seniors enjoy spending time volunteering with the animals here at the NFHS. Special time is spent cuddling cats in our new cat room or walking dogs on our property. If you would prefer to help in another way we have various volunteer positions ranging from assisting with administrative duties or events to helping with our gardens. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to join our volunteer program.